Fashion Designing has transcended learning it as an apprentice. In a bid to up your fashion designing game, there are many Nigerian Universities Offering Fashion Designing as a course in Nigeria today.
Becoming a certified fashion designer, you can learn from an accredited fashion center or better still only for Nigerian Universities Offering Fashion Designing. Fashion designing requires you to have the adequate skill, technical knowledge, and creativity to make cloth designs and trends.
To become an edge in the fashion world, then you have to find out Nigerian Universities Offering Fashion Designing as a course. Becoming a professional has transcended knowing how to handle scissors, knowing how to use the sewing machine, needles, etc.
You should learn from a reputable university. This article is centered on explaining the Nigerian Ian Universities Offering Fashion designing as a course. Read more to discover the schools on our list.
Accredited Universities Offering Fashion Designing as a Course in Nigeria
Most universities don’t offer fashion design because they are theory-oriented. Their teachings are centered on the theoretical aspects and that doesn’t suit fashion designing. The job requires a lot of practical skills.
However, there are a lot of polytechnics offering fashion designing because these institutions are practical-oriented.
The only university offering Fashion designing as a course is:
University of Abuja
The University of Abuja is the only school offering Fashion design in Nigeria. Fashion designing is a recent addition to their course of study.
You’ll be certified with a bachelor’s degree in Fashion design after completion of your fashion courses. Apart from that, you’ll have an edge over others that learn fashion designing as an apprentice.
Polytechnics offering Fashion Designing as A Course in Nigeria
Many polytechnics are Offering Fashion designing as a course in Nigeria. Polytechnics combine both theory and practicals so you don’t miss out on any knowledge or training.
You’re allowed to practice with sewing machines and there’s a compulsory 1-year attachment to a fashion firm of your choice. They’ll teach you more about the basics of sewing.
Most polytechnics offer fashion designing courses under fashion design and clothing technology. The following polytechnics offer fashion designing:
- The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kano State Polytechnic, Kano State
- Kalac Christal Polytechnic
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Auchi Polytechnic
- Yaba College of Technology
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic in Kazure, Jigawa State
- Benue State Polytechnic
- The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa
- Delta State Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic of Oko, Anambra State
- Institute of Management Technology of Enugu
- Jigawa State Institute of Information Technology
Requirements for Studying Fashion Designing in Universities Offering Fashion Designing
The following requirements are highly important before you can study fashion design in Nigerian schools.
Your subject combination at the O’level stage include
- A pass in Home Economics or Technical drawing
- A pass in English Language and Mathematics with an additional two subjects.
- A credit passes on any of these subjects: Home Management, History, Physics, Fine art, Chemistry, Biology, Clothing and Textile, Literature in English, etc.
JAMB/ UTME Requirements
Having met the O’level requirements. You are expected to combine the following for Jamb:
- Mathematics, English Language and other two subjects.
- Meet the Polytechnic cut off mark for your course.
After these, you’ll still undergo a screening process or a Post-UTME as the case may be.
Direct Entry Requirements
This is for people who want to use their ND results to secure admission to the University. You must
- Meet the O’level requirements
- Have Statement of result of Fashion designing from any Polytechnic in Nigeria.
Hope you got value? Drop your questions, views, and suggestions in the comment section.